For cowards who hide behind clown's faces. *PALC

Moderators: Andy, DeMange Tout, Les

#278835 by lungz
Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:06 pm
Cut to the chase, I'm after new music. If you can't be arsed reading the rest just chuck some suggestions in the pot (this could go horribly wrong). I'm as eclectic as fcuk.

I fcuking love music. But I live for new music. Life is so easy when you find a tune, band, or genre that wakes up your senses and blows you out of the water. But...

I'm sick to shit of the same old bollox. I've reached an age / stage of my life where I'm no longer in the musical loop and listening to the same old tunes from the same old people. Shit's gone stale for me.

I appreciate you don't know this cnut from Adam but asking for this on A.N. is Desperate times I'm sure you'll agree?

So can you help a cnut out and suggest some exciting shit? Something I've never heard before that really makes me shit my pants in excitement! Previous winners for me are (in no particular order)...

Artists...
Stone Roses
Enter Shikari
Funeral for a Friend
Ride
Amanda Palmer
Kate Rusby
Bloc Party
The D.O.T

Genre's...
Ragga
Bashment
Grime (The white guy shit*** and the good rhyming shit. Don't want none of the shit lyrics stuff).
UK hip hop
Folk
Post hardcore emo metal type stuff

*** By White guy shit I mean Grime 'for' the white guy, not Grime 'By' the white guy!
I ain't no racist!
Last edited by lungz on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Share On:

#278839 by batfink
Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:22 am
Motorhead
Goat
'On A Ragga Tip' by SL2
#278840 by Clint Naysmith
Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:38 am
I think you'll find everything you need by playing "Jump Around" by House of Pain on a loop for the remainder of your life.

Word to your moms.
#278844 by what
Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:52 am
The Spice Girls are making a comeback this year.
#278845 by Meadmaker
Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:58 am
End of all hope - Nightwish
#278862 by Officer Crabtree
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:02 am
What kind of folk?

On the folk side of things, the Decemberists are my particular favourites at the moment, with Oysterband being more long-term favourites. Not sure either is too close in style to owt you'd get from Kate Rusby, however.

Oh - and On a Ragga Tip by SL2.
#278863 by Heddis
Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:50 am
Acest song on internet. Side project from Norwegian band Motorpsycho called The international tussler society, song called Highway Zen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tiLXI1sDg
#278875 by batfink
Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:42 pm
Worth reiterating that you need to listen to 'On A Ragga Tip'. On repeat.
#278887 by lungz
Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:09 pm
Thanks gents. Some good suggestions coming through that I was unaware of. I'll have a listen to them as soon as On a Ragga Tip and Jump Around stop playing, on repeat, for eternity.
#278888 by lungz
Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:14 pm
Officer Crabtree wrote:What kind of folk?

On the folk side of things, the Decemberists are my particular favourites at the moment, with Oysterband being more long-term favourites. Not sure either is too close in style to owt you'd get from Kate Rusby, however.

Oh - and On a Ragga Tip by SL2.

Folk wise Im drawn to traditional English (Kate Rusby, Spiers & Bowden etc) and the jaunty stuff with high tempo penny whistles and accordion type instruments. (Bellowhead type stuff preferably without the brass instruments).
#278891 by Officer Crabtree
Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:47 pm
lungz wrote:Folk wise Im drawn to traditional English (Kate Rusby, Spiers & Bowden etc) and the jaunty stuff with high tempo penny whistles and accordion type instruments. (Bellowhead type stuff preferably without the brass instruments).

Maybe have a go at the Barely Works, an early-90s folk band that released a couple of albums and were influential to a lot of bands and artists, from Eliza Carthy to Bellowhead. Sometimes a bit too out there, but their versions of Byker Hill, Old Joe Clarke and various other standards are ace. That said, they do use brass instruments. For traditional English, I don't think you can beat the Watersons stuff from the 60s and 70s. I assume you're at least partially acquainted with the Richard Thompson back catalogue, particularly the stuff he did with Linda in the 70s? If not, then maybe give that a go.
#278892 by Cayman Tiger
Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:12 pm
Is it just me that is imagining a bunch of Necatarines walking about in the summer looking a bit like this?

Jesus Christ I hope I'm wrong.
#278897 by Snaggletooth
Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:30 pm
What catalogue did you get that from? I need some new threads.
#278907 by Cayman Tiger
Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 pm
Snaggletooth wrote:What catalogue did you get that from? I need some new threads.

Possibly from the same place you can buy this must have t-shirt: