For cowards who hide behind clown's faces. *PALC

Moderators: Andy, DeMange Tout, Les

Share On:

#280671 by Meadmaker
Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:39 pm
What he said....doubled
#281052 by Officer Crabtree
Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:01 am
I disagree. They are in the very top tier of the most phenomenally talented sportsmen and women in the country. One is on track to become the greatest female sprint cyclist of all time (if she's not there already). The other is set to be our most decorated Olympian. You hear about them on anything like a national scale for two weeks every four years. Given their talent and their success, that's not really enough. Both seem very likeable too, and tend not to do the 'celebrity' thing (reality TV, excessive chat show appearances, etc....). This comes despite the fact that they're unlikely to be in, say, the top 25% of wealthy British sportspeople, despite being in the top 1% when it comes to talent (and therefore would probably quite welcome the money this shite would bring in). So good on 'em, I say. I have mild reservations about the level of coverage and adoration Tom Daley gets given his medal haul, but for this two weeks I can't hear enough about our Olympians, who for the most part work their bollocks off all year round, year in, year out, for essentially two weeks of exposure on anything like a national scale.
#281059 by Cayman Tiger
Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:29 am
No I don't think so. I'm referring to constant pics of them canoodling etc and been reminded that their wedding is coming up. We get all that and the constant reminders aren't necessary.

Their amazing athletic achievements, seemingly nice down to earth personalities, relativity to other "star athletes" and so on as Occifer rightly said is not in question and not the point I was making.
#281060 by Officer Crabtree
Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:34 am
Cayman Tiger wrote:No I don't think so. I'm referring to constant pics of them canoodling etc and been reminded that their wedding is coming up. We get all that and the constant reminders aren't necessary.


Fair enough, but even still it's a two-week (if that) thing of two people whose talents warrant a high profile but who seem determined to stay grounded and keep on winning. I think the coverage of their relationship has been commensurate with what you'd expect given what they've achieved. I see they've already said that they won't be having magazines at the wedding and all that shite, so I'd imagine that you won't hear of it all that much after another week or so, and we'll be back to which reality show nonentity Premier League footballers are shagging.
#281061 by Casey Effem
Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:51 am
There always seems a need by the media to Big Brotherize everything. They assume that everyone has no life of their own and must need to follow someone else's life. I suppose the only thing about this particular couple is that the seem well grounded and normal. Can't see it catching on persnally
#281062 by Officer Crabtree
Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:57 am
There always seems a need by the media to Big Brotherize everything. They assume that everyone has no life of their own and must need to follow someone else's life.


This is hardly a new thing though. Following others' lives has existed pretty much as long as the media has. During the Olympics we get a rare two-week window where the lives we are following seem to be in some way warranted given their hard work and achievements. I don't care too much about the love lives of the athletes to be honest (though many of them have interesting/inspiring back stories), but the fact that if the Trott/Kenny house was a country it would be 13th in the medal table is worthy of our attention.
#281063 by Cayman Tiger
Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:02 pm
Aye alright I'll put up with it for the duration of the Olympics. I think sitting next to the Cunning/Halty doppelgängers wore off on me.
#281065 by Officer Crabtree
Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:51 pm
Cayman Tiger wrote:Aye alright I'll put up with it for the duration of the Olympics. I think sitting next to the Cunning/Halty doppelgängers wore off on me.


I once shared a half of dark mild with them in a pub in Watford (literally one half, three straws). Ever since then I've taken to tutting at children in the street for playing Pokemon Go and complaining that the music is too loud whenever I hear music.
#281072 by Bunkers Hill
Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:29 pm
Cunning Linguist wrote:I can confirm that everything that the Officer says is true.
Well nearly - the Pokemon Go bit has thrown me slightly.

It's basically like a stick and a hoop but for cunts.


Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk
#281073 by Cunning Linguist
Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 pm
Bunkers Hill wrote:
Cunning Linguist wrote:I can confirm that everything that the Officer says is true.
Well nearly - the Pokemon Go bit has thrown me slightly.

It's basically like a stick and a hoop but for cunts.


Sent from my iFern using Tapatalk

Aha. Sort of golf for juniors.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests