Would you support Hull Tigers?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 58

Would you support Hull Tigers?

Postby Sir Dontseecityalot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:07 pm

The name change discussion is well advanced in the other thread, and I don't mean for it to spill over into here. Instead, I just wanted to ask a simple question: Would you support a team called Hull Tigers?

I've left the poll intentionally vague. It's up to the individual as the whether they'd define supporting as following the team home or away, or merely watching them with interest whenever they're on the telly.

For my part, I don't think I would. In fact, I'm committed to not supporting this football club if it stops being Hull City. I've been a supporter of this club as long as I can remember. My Dad took me, and his Dad took him, and he remembers when his Dad took him to see City play Halifax Town in 1936. Over my lifetime it's been tremendous fun, and a huge privilege to support this club.

But if the name change goes through, I'm packing the whole thing in. I'll probably go see my local non-league team in London every other week. A fundamental part of football is that, whatever the reality, the people on the terraces feel a sense of ownership over the club and a sense of belonging with the other fans and teams. My own view is that changing the club's name to Hull Tigers dismisses 109 years of history and is an explicit statement that the club doesn't in any way belong to the fans. I don't think I could support that club.
Last edited by Sir Dontseecityalot on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you hear?
Nothing but the rain.
Sir Dontseecityalot
Utility Player

Re: Would you support Hull Tigers?

Postby batfink » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Absofuckinglutely not.
I'm so hip even my errors are correct
batfink
Bearded Sage

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Never.
There is literally nothing on earth that cannot be improved by cheese.
Andy
Administrator

Postby Clint Naysmith » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 pm

I might retain a passing interest in the results of Hull Tigers, as they tumble down the leagues Pompey style.
Clint Naysmith
Peak Practice expert

Postby Gazza_Gazza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 pm

I'll genuinely probably fuck football off all together if this happens.
Shaking obscene like a killing machine, here we go.
Gazza_Gazza
Wily Veteran

Postby Meadmaker » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:41 pm

North Ferriby for me...and you can at least stand there.
- Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will pee on your computer.
- Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.
- There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
Meadmaker
Utility Player

Postby Andy » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:42 pm

A random post-pub thought...but suppose some pesky fanzine wanker organised something for existing season ticket holders to sign promising not to renew in the event of City changing their name...could that work?

Keep voting guys. The poll's a good idea and we'll loudly publicise the outcome.
Andy
Administrator

Postby Gazza_Gazza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 pm

I'm up for that. I can include a short video of me with my arms folded, shaking my head in disdain if that would add to the gravitas?
Shaking obscene like a killing machine, here we go.
Gazza_Gazza
Wily Veteran

Postby Johnny Yen » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:57 pm

I like Gazza_Gazza's idea. I can record some disappointed tutting sounds and email them across in MP3 format if that helps.

Sorry to piss on this delightful bonfire but unfortunately this poll is a. unlikely to get more than 150 voters, and b. a self-selecting sample so Nick Thompson would be quite within his rights to dismiss it as meaninglessly unrepresentative. I like your random post-pub thought better Andy. How about if, rather than a petition (we've got one of those, sort of) it was a "Dear Mr Allam/Mr Thompson" form letter with space left for you to fill in your season ticket details and then post it to the club?

What is the OSC doing? Aren't they canvassing their members? If I thought they were actually doing anything I might even consider joining. Maybe we need a Militant Tendency-style infiltration.
Last edited by Johnny Yen on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Newcomer Of The Year 2008 And In Perpetuity, Throughout The Multiverse
Official Milliner Of Amber Nectar

http://notohulltigers.tumblr.com/post/7 ... questioned
Johnny Yen
Wily Veteran

Postby Sir Dontseecityalot » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Aye, sounds a decent idea. Not a crappy Change.org petition though. We need something that's either real and tangible, or starting online but turning into something real and tangible (I'm riffing here, but perhaps all the names being arranged to spell "City 'Till I Die" on a banner?).

EDIT: I like Johnny Yen's idea of a letter signed by hundreds of season ticket holders, all bearing their names and seat numbers.
What do you hear?
Nothing but the rain.
Sir Dontseecityalot
Utility Player

Postby RichC6 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 am

I like this cos it gets Andy going all Wolfie Smith on our ass. Again.
No one is innocent.
RichC6
Wily Veteran

Postby Andy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:09 am

"Dear Messrs Allam, Thompson, Lord & co,

I, ________, a Hull City AFC season ticket holder of __ years and current occupier of seat number _______, wish to state in writing that I will not renew my season ticket if the name of the club is changed in any way.

In the event that a change of name occurs, please do not bother to send me an invitation to renew or contact me ever again.

Yours,

_______"

It doesn't read right yet, but if you fine people think there's potential here, we'll get to work. If City think cunting around like cunts is good for business, we'll show them that it's the precise opposite.
Andy
Administrator

Postby Johnny Yen » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 am

Yeah, that's the sort of thing.
Newcomer Of The Year 2008 And In Perpetuity, Throughout The Multiverse
Official Milliner Of Amber Nectar

http://notohulltigers.tumblr.com/post/7 ... questioned
Johnny Yen
Wily Veteran

Postby Barney Gumble » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:35 am

It's a great idea and obviously I'd happily sign but I sadly feel that the new fans the opening of the KC bred are more interested in the sparkly Premier League than our history and heritage. A relegation would hit them harder than any name change. When are people going to wake up and realise you need to make a stand NOW to protect the future as well as the past.
"Aaah! Natural light! Get it off me! Get it off me!"
Barney Gumble
All-Time Great

Postby what » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:42 am

I'd fuck them off and wouldn't even wish them luck in their future career.
We scored a goal. Terry scored a goal.
what
Tramp by day, Fop by night

Postby Occasional Fan » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am

No.

I had already decided to respond to the invite to renew my season pass stating that my doing so would be wholly dependent on what the team's name was.

I guess that a pre-emptive mass listing would be a good idea, so sign me up for that.
Mingus' syncopation was spooking the dog.
Occasional Fan
All-Time Great

Postby Chunder Monkey » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:12 am

Barney Gumble wrote:It's a great idea and obviously I'd happily sign but I sadly feel that the new fans the opening of the KC bred are more interested in the sparkly Premier League than our history and heritage. A relegation would hit them harder than any name change. When are people going to wake up and realise you need to make a stand NOW to protect the future as well as the past.

Indeed. I'll happily sign this, though I think truly making a stand against this would be to boycott games this season, not next.
Times it is the hero, but the next moment you can be the Potter.
Chunder Monkey
First Team Regular

Postby Officer Crabtree » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:13 am

I've agonised over this, but Allam Sr's quotes in the Guardian yesterday made my mind up for me. No, I wouldn't. What's being done is bad, but the way the Allams are doing it if fucking vile.
I am a huge Woody Allen fan. Although I've only seen Antz.
Officer Crabtree
Dodecahedracunt

Postby Black n Amber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 am

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and admit I'm one of the 3 who have clicked yes. It really doesn't bother me if the name changes, in the same way it didn't bother me moving from Boothferry Park to the KC, sharing our ground with the egg chasers or the kit changing from strips to tiger print to plain and back to stripes.

I can actually understand where "Dr" Alam is coming from. In the Far East the Tiger is an esteemed animal and people will follow a club just because of that. In the same way that Cardiff's owners wanted to change from blue to red as it will attract more global supporters. The club needs more income and this is not going to come from the 335 thousand people who live in East Yorkshire or probably even the 65 million in the UK. The growth area is the 7 billion people who live outside the UK.

Marathons became Snickers, Opal Fruits became Starburst, BT Cellnet became O2, East Yorkshire became Humberside and went back again, my wife became Mrs Black n Amber. Names change but the underlying people, products and places stay the same.

At the end of the day the club will still be based in the town where I was born and therefore I will continue to support them as I have for the past 19 years.
"compromising the safety of people across Huddersfield and West Yorkshire"
Mark Burns-Williamson
Police and Crime Commissioner for West Yorkshire
22nd March 2013
Black n Amber
Super Sub

Postby Officer Crabtree » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:16 am

Black n Amber wrote:I can actually understand where "Dr" Alam is coming from. In the Far East the Tiger is an esteemed animal and people will follow a club just because of that.

Please, please expand on this Black n Amber. Please explain how this will happen and how it will raise money for Hull City. It's a hell of a statement to make - that people will ditch Manchester United and Real Madrid for Hull Tigers. Please explain it further. And how does Cardiff's colour change attract more global supporters? Please explain these things, because I've yet to find someone who can.

You seem to see football clubs as no different to businesses. You are Allam Sr's dream fan. Many businesses rebrand, but the reasons are never, ever based around the whim of an owner.
I am a huge Woody Allen fan. Although I've only seen Antz.
Officer Crabtree
Dodecahedracunt

Next

Return to City