Revealed: City’s 2017/18 attendances

West Stand before kick-off (v Nottingham Forest, 28-10-2017) 1

City’s attendances this season have been much discussed. The official average stands at 15,739, which is the lowest since 2002/3 – when the Tigers were in the bottom division.

But are fifteen thousand people really turning up to watch City every week? With the Upper West Stand closed, we’re instantly losing around 5,000 from a capacity of around 25,400. Of the twenty thousand seats still available for City fans, are three-quarters of them occupied every week? Really?

We wonder. But first things first: tihere’s no obligation for City, or any club, to announce attendance figures that precisely correspond to the number of people physically present. They’d be doing nothing wrong if a different way of calculating attendance figures was implemented, and that’s actually fairly common. If City want to count everyone who could theoretically attend, rather than those who do, that’s up to them.

However, as this Guardian article a couple of months ago explains, crowd figures are a sort of health check on the state of a club. They do matter. And knowing them matters, so we can understand what’s happening to our club.

So we asked around. And look at what we found:

Announced Attendance Actual Attendance Away Attendance
Hull City v Bolton (25/08/17) 15,504 12,834 898
Hull City v Wolves (15/08/17) 17,284 14,459 1,358

That’s interesting, isn’t it?

Those crowds feel a lot closer to what we experience in the ground. Both state that the official attendance is fully 20% higher than the actual attendance. The Bolton one in particular shows that virtually half the stadium is empty.

If we reproduce that 20% margin for the crowd in Saturday’s defeat against Bristol City, 14,762 becomes about 12,300. A half-empty stadium. Just a few years ago we were locking people out of the stadium amid skyrocketing demand. Now we have a ground one-fifth shut and barely reaching 50% capacity. That health check reveals a chronically sick football club. It’s a desperately sad situation.

We asked Hull City AFC if they wanted to comment on these figures, however they declined to do so (though impeccably politely). These figures were obtained with a Freedom of Information request to Hull City Council.

1. Jimmy Weekly
    Jimmy Weekly says:

Good piece, but where are you getting these actual attendance figures from? ‘We asked around and look what we found’ doesn’t tell us much.

A fascinating business, I wished I could afford to f** k off 12,000 + customers. Spiteful malevolent shower of bastards that control Hull City.

3. Jimmy Weekly
    Jimmy Weekly says:

Thanks. Much more of this and FoI requests won’t be needed to get accurate attendance figures. We’ll be able to count them ourselves.

4. Piddsta
    Piddsta says:

Good article. Really brings it home. @John from Brid, spot on. When the parachute payments have gone and we’re struggling in League One, this will be an even bigger deal.

5. Tom
    Tom says:

Is there anyway of checking transfer fees? I don’t for one minute believe the cheap prices we have sold our England internationals and other recognised talent, or for that matter the prices paid especially with Liverpool. Call me a business man but this also makes no sense.

6. Lincolnshire_tiger
    Lincolnshire_tiger says:

And each empty seat representing the true Silent Majority, and what they think of the way the club is being run.

7. Chunder Monkey
    Chunder Monkey says:

Excellent work chaps. Sad that it takes a fans group to undertake some fairly basic investigative journalism to get some real figures behind the club’s current sad malaise.

I’m amazed there’s as many people as even that in the ground. Almost everyone I know who once went regularly or had a pass has packed it in. A crying shame.

8. haltemprice tiger
    haltemprice tiger says:

‘I’m amazed there’s as many people as even that in the ground. Almost everyone I know who once went regularly or had a pass has packed it in. A crying shame’.

Of seven of us that used to sit together, I am the only one left. I still see the others regularly and they are all insistent that they will not return, even if we get back into the Premier League under new owners that respect the historical name of the club and reintroduce concessions.

9. J Barr
    J Barr says:

They are counting pass holders seats as full because they have paid up front. They are disregarding the pass holders not attending because of the issues with the Allams.

10. Silsdentiger
    Silsdentiger says:

I can empathise with those six who sat around Haltemprice Tiger and have lost the enthusiasm for Hull City under the Allams reign. I had been a supporter for 54 years and a season ticket holder for over 20 years travelling from West Yorkshire and bringing my 3 grandsons (future supporters) but cancelledmy despised membership at the end of the season as I predicted everything that has now happened. I love football and watch the tree grandsons play every weekend ( logistically difficult ) but, more importantly I now watch a local team , Silsden, in the North West Counties League ( excellent football, very competitive, cost £3 , no travelling ,no parking problems , good company, and home in 10 minutes) I doubt if I will ever renew my pass and four supporters have been lost because the Allam’s have ripped the heart and soul out of Hull City. Very very sad.
    Best wishes and a speedy recovery to probably our best ever number 9, Chillo. He and Waggy and the team they played in were wonderful

Sorry chaps but using the August Bank Holiday as a barometer is slightly disingenuous.
    I am a membership holder and I was away on holiday missing both games. Many fans are away on the August Bank Holiday weekend.
    I do agree that there is a real difference between the attendance announced and the true attendance but we had this in the Premier League too.
    We also see it at other clubs, Man Utd (Cup games) being a prime example.
    Ever since I started watching Hull City 40 years ago, I’ve bought season passes on the basis that I’ll miss a game or two due to holidays, I’ve paid for that game, so in theory the club may declare this as “a sale” perhaps to abide by tax rules.
    We all want communication to improve throughout our club and to see a successful team again.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] The reaction to our revelation of City’s actual crowds this season was interesting. We hope it served to highlight the epic and frequently deliberate mismanagement of […]