1. So, welcome Leonid Slutsky, and brace yourself for a glut of headlines from our classy tabloid media which you will barely understand but will make City fans the world over cringe uncontrollably. We hope you settle in our neighbourhood quickly and have an enjoyable and fruitful time as our manager.

2. Look at us, appointing English football’s first ever Russian manager. John Bradley, the former Viking FM sports editor who now commentates on Russian football, told us on Twitter: “He’s a good man. Has a fine record in Russia. Gets the best out of players. Improves players. Conducts himself well at all times. Negatives: could be accused of being a little tactically naive and a little stuck in his ways by playing the same way all the time.” So, mainly good notices from someone who has viewed his teams on a professional level on many an occasion. And Slutsky has spent the whole year learning English, too.

3. But yeah, our footballing nation’s first ever Russian gaffer, and he’s ours. As for City, the only manager not from the British Isles we’d ever appointed before 2017 began was Jan Mølby, who’d been in the English game as player and manager for nearly 20 years and had a more pronounced Scouse accent than large swathes of Birkenhead. Now we’ve had a brooding, telegenic, highly-rated Portuguese quickly followed by a Russian chap who was managing his country as recently as last year’s European Championships. Oh, how Paul Merson must disapprove.

4. We hope our new leader has made it abundantly clear to Ehab Allam that huge numbers of players need to be recruited to make us a viable competitor in the Championship come August. The money that needs to be spent is kind of incidental, really; we need bodies. Whether they are gifted freebies, unknowns from Russophile clubs, youthful loanees or big names, get them in, in quantities. The threadbare squad we had this time last year has now passed into footballing folklore and became a symbol of why ultimately, as per most predictions and previews, we were unable to maintain our Premier League place, and that deplorable situation will not be tolerated again.

5. And the defence is obviously the first port of call. Alex Bruce (who really would have been so useful this season, but obviously accident of birth rendered him persona non grata with the Allams – and imagine being reliant on your father for your career, eh Ehab?) has gone. Curtis Davies has also gone, joining Derby County in an improperly cheap £500,000 deal. Two defenders with a wealth of experience, out with barely a backwards glance.

6. And now, Harry Maguire. We may have struggled to keep hold of this exceptional young defender even if we’d stayed up, but it’s unarguable that there was no chance of his staying once our fate was sealed. Maguire is a fine top flight defender who will get finer and will be even more on the international radar now that he has joined Leicester City for £17m. We think he’ll do well there. We think he’ll play for England next season. And while we can point to all sorts of shameful stuff behind the scenes that ultimately leads to us accepting the first bid we receive for our best footballer, we can’t blame Maguire for going, and nor should we. He seems a decent sort and his popularity on an individual level last season, as a player with whom we could properly identify, means that many a City fan will follow his career for a many a year to come.

7. Is Eldin Jakupović going the same way? Reports say so, but City say no. Mind you, they denied Derby County had bid for Davies meagre hours before Davies signed for, er, Derby County. We’re jaundiced enough to know that when the Allams say it’s freezing outside we look for shades and flip flops, so if they say no-one wants our free spirit of a keeper, we should expect to see him brandishing a blue and white scarf anytime now.

8. Jakupović was terrific once he got the nod last season and he was an endearing character; however, if he goes we’d not suggest his departure is as worrying as others that have either already happened or seem imminent. We have two Scotland international goalkeepers on our books, and whatever misgivings there have been about Messrs Marshall and McGregor, they are experienced and have terrific reputations and either would be more than adequate as a first choice custodian next season if our Bosni-Swiss stopper does follow Maguire to Leicester. And if Gospodin Slutsky happens to know the parents of the next Rinat Dasayev, then all the better.

9. Andy Robertson seems certain to go, too. It does seem nothing official has happened as far as the impending exit of our nippy Scottish full back is concerned but it does only feel like a question of time. West Ham and Liverpool have previously been interested, and there will be others.

10. Marco Silva goes to Watford. A week later, Southampton dismiss their manager. We suspect he’s kicking himself a little bit.

Have City unveiled their new kit yet?
    I’m expecting it to be the same blue as Chelsea’s as all I can see is us signing Chelsea outcasts who have done the loan circuit in the lower divisions & deemed not good enough & as many loanees as the rules will allow.
    So basically we’ll just become Chelsea’s nursery team.
    Another nail in the coffin of me going to watch them if this becomes the case.

2. Dave bowman
    Dave bowman says:

Maybe we will get John Terry so he can learn the management ropes from Roman’s friend and go back to Stamford Bridge fluent in Russian and cheap football recruitment.

Anything is possible at City these days 😂

3. John Anderson
    John Anderson says:

Good read as always, though unknowns from Russophile clubs is unlikely, as if regulations are still the same, they have to have to have played Internationally for their country to be given a work permit.

4. Gary Vasey
    Gary Vasey says:

I dunno – I come and read your reports because they are good but wow, so negative and so are the comments. I left Hull at age 18 – nigh on 40-years ago and will never be back except to visit family and the KC Stadium. I have supported the club on my travels flying the black and amber from Houston, Texas and now Brno, Czech Republic. I was in Zilina to see the Trencin game – the closest City have got to where I live. Where am I going – how about some positives instead of this moaning crap please? Hate the Allams if you must but boy, their era has been the best in the club’s history… if we take a few Chelsea youngsters this year then what a treat to get to watch some emerging talent for a year… Come on, I know moaning is what you all do in Hull better than almost anything but for once – let’s be positive please!

UTT

Thanks for your permission to hate the Allams, Gary. How about you shove your “I left Hull because I’m better than that place” attitude right up your arse?

6. Mark
    Mark says:

Well said Les. I was just about to write something similar. This year of the City of Culture has given us all a Hull we can be proud of, it’s just a shame the Allams continue to fail to give us a football club we can be proud of.

7. Michael Coates
    Michael Coates says:

Good read again, surprised you didn’t mention Dawson, Clucas who also could be moving .
    Then I’m afraid Elmo who should be moved on!! After last season.

Gary Vasey, I’ve read many of your comments on other social media sites & all you’ve ever done is slag Amber Nectar off, so why bother coming on here if you hate it so much?
    Do us all a favour & just fuck off will you.

9. Ozzie
    Ozzie says:

I also live a long way away and every chance I get I return to watch. Even got to Wembley by a fluke last year to find gaping holes in the amber crowd….no matter I left with tears of joy and no voice….surely with the massive cash injection we would spend wisely but oh no…..you see it began with the renaming debacle when common sense prevailed but in so doing we have collectively caused a public loss of face to an Arab family …….something that cannot be forgiven it is simply not in their genetic make up. We will be punished until nothing is left worth having for them, then we will be simply cast aside…..justice done from their hateful eyes!

Where is our Yorkshire Crusader to save us from this sad fate!

10. JohnK
    JohnK says:

On paper Slutsky would appear to be a good catch. His experience and achievement in other leagues is self evident. The Championship is of course a league that he has no experience of and a level of competition probably not seen in any other league in Europe. He will have to go into the season well prepared. As far as signings are concerned, I can’t believe that he has taken the job without assurances/commitments from the owners, why would he? It was a threadbare squad before all the loan signings left, in addition to the players we have sold and will sell. Like the vast majority of foreign coaches, they want to manage in the Premier League and let’s hope this ambition is a priority for Slutsky. His ability to do this, with or without City, can only be achieved in my view if he gets us promotion. So he has all to play for and we have all to play for.

11. JohnK
    JohnK says:

Oh and by the way, I am interested to know what you are going to replace “is silva golden?” with. My money is on you guys digging to the depths of your artistic imagination and coming up with “is slutsky a slut?”

Crikey JohnK, your estimation of our collective wit is low if you think we’d have “Is Slutsky a slut?”

We’ve gone for a feminist slant with ‘Slut Shaming?’. The Cyrillic text at the top loosely says “Still not asking for it”, not because Leonis is scantily clad, but because he’s looking smooth in a pinstripe suit and bow tie.

“Hate the Allams if you must but boy, their era has been the best in the club’s history”

Define ‘best’. The FA Cup and the too-brief sojourn into Europe were great, but the backdrop – the Allam-created backdrop of rancour and division because their rampant egos couldn’t take the slights that only existed in their collective imaginations – meant that it was far from the ‘best’ time for me. It didn’t get close to the 2004-2009 period, as back then we had a togetherness, a spirit that was tangible. We created history as underdogs and we did it with characters such as Ash, Deano, Nick Barmby, Daws, Phil Brown, Adam Pearson, etc… for whom you knew the club meant everything. Absolutely everything.

“if we take a few Chelsea youngsters this year then what a treat to get to watch some emerging talent for a year…”

That would be brilliant, wouldn’t it? Enabling one of the big boys to stockpile their squad – much of which has been plundered from other youth sides around the country/world – and give them experience at the KCOM so we can get a fleeting glimpse at something that will only be ours if they essentially fail. What a treat that would be. Thank god we’re managing to ship out a load of promising local youngsters so we can hopefully ship these lads in for a season. I’d even consider getting one of their names on the back of my replica shirt (the ‘k’ from the ‘Akpom’ is starting to peel off on my current one).

14. Dave
    Dave says:

It’s always interesting being a city fan eh? I think anyone expecting us to keep hold of Maguire was in danger of losing their marbles, at the end of the day 17mi for a player we bought for 2.5mil is great business… but that’s providing it’s reinvested.

Curtis Davis for £500k is far to little, the guy brought so much to the team and it wasn’t just what he did on the park.

As for further losses, personally I think you have to let any players who want to be off, go. We need a team that wants to play for the badge and their team mates, something I felt we didn’t do against Sunderland and definitely not against Tottenham.

As for this season, lets just wait and see what funds Slutsky is given and who he brings in, before we start on the Allams again – doubt it, but we might just get some significant reinvestment.

Ultimately no one can argue that the seasons the Allams have been in charge have not been our most successful on the pitch, being a clearance off the line away from lifting the FA cup, A brief jaunt in Europe and a few years in the Premiership… the trouble is for every positive on the pitch there has been several off the pitch negatives, be it contracts, OAP/Child membership prices, ‘the tigers’, to name a few.

I’ve got a funny feeling we’ll do alright in the Championship this year, I’m looking forward to much higher win ratio then the Premiership, some banging local derbies and if we placing bets, I going for a by the skin our teeth 2nd place finish.

And on a final note, whilst no one wants the drama Hull City has had off the pitch the last several years, if we didn’t have it this blog would not be even half as fun to read lol.

15. Jimmy Weekly
    Jimmy Weekly says:

Ozzie writes, “we have collectively caused a public loss of face to an Arab family …….something that cannot be forgiven it is simply not in their genetic make up. We will be punished until nothing is left worth having for them, then we will be simply cast aside…..justice done from their hateful eyes! Where is our Yorkshire Crusader to save us from this sad fate!”

I despise this sort of “they’re all the same these people, it’s in their make-up” bollocks. The addition of reference to the crusades is a particularly nasty flourish. Let’s argue about how the Allams run the club, but this vile generalising about people because of their race is hateful.

16. Ozzie
    Ozzie says:

Dear Jimmy Weekly,

Of course it seems like generalisation to someone like yourself but it is actually based on a deep cultural understanding formed throughout my life of living and working in many cultures around the world, Middle East/Asia/Africa/South America. The follow on effects of loss of face can be profound! Some cultures more than others. I merely offered an opinion that it is perhaps what we are witnessing now….I actually hope I am wrong but ask yourself why are they behaving as they are since the name change bid failed. Happy to hear what you think!

I lament that you have taken offence at my use of the word Crusader…….perhaps you would like to ban Easter and Christmas celebrations as potentially offensive to some minority interest group.

Harden up my good fellow…..the world is a tough place!

17. Ozzie
    Ozzie says:

Dear Jimmy Weekly,

Of course it seems like generalisation to someone like yourself but it is actually based on a deep cultural understanding formed throughout my life of living and working in many cultures around the world, Middle East/Asia/Africa/South America. Its not about race its about culture. The follow on effects of loss of face can be profound! Some cultures more than others. I merely offered an opinion that it is perhaps what we are witnessing now….I actually hope I am wrong but ask yourself why are they behaving as they are since the name change bid failed. Happy to hear what you think!

Harden up my good fellow…..the world is a tough place!

18. Gary Vasey
    Gary Vasey says:

Bill Baxter – I have not slagged this site off anywhere – it is far and away the best site for match reporting of City games on the web…. and Les, I never said any such thing. Very proud of my Hull origins and of Hull City….. but its nice to see how welcome an alternative point of view is…

Gary Vasey, you’re a liar.
    I’ve seen several of your posts on Facebook slagging AN off over the name change fiasco.

As you seem to have selective memory issues Mr. Vasey, I will remind you:-
    On 18/05/2015 G.Vasey wrote on the ‘Yes To Hull Tigers’ Facebook page:-
    Quote: “I used to like this site… but just read this crap they write…. I despair I really do. What is it about Hull? Apologies to those of you who live there but when I read stuff like this and see the bitter, hate-filled jibes from others on FB pages, I can only say I am so glad I left 30 years ago…despite that, I go on supporting this club whatever they are called and whatever level they play at. It’s been an amazing two years – Thanks Mr. Allam. I for one am grateful for your support of our team.
    http://www.ambernectar.org/…/…/things-we-think-we-think-187/?” Unquote.
    There are other posts too.