NEWS: City Till We Die launched

citywillwedie

Prior to the Huddersfield match on Tuesday night, a meeting occured between representatives of various fans’ groups, at which Amber Nectar was represented. The intention was to establish a new group designed to oppose the proposal that Hull City AFC change its name. At the culmination of this meeting, a new group was founded – City Till We Die – and in the spirit of complete transparency in which the group hopes to proceed, the minutes are below, detailing discussions and objectives. All feedback welcome, either to us or directly to City Till We Die. And now for those minutes…

Meeting of the “City till we die” Hull City action group

 

Tuesday 24th September 2013.
Halfway House, Spring Bank, Hull.

Groups represented

Amber Nectar, City Independent, City ‘ulltras, Tigerlink, Tiger Chat, Tigers Co-operative, WHCR Fans Forum.

Attendees

F.Beill, M.Beill, C.Cooper, A.Dalton, K.Ellis, J.Ellis, P.Johnson, A.Medcalf, P.Mills, L.Motherby, K.Ogram, R.Skelton & I.Waterson.

Brief introductions were made.

1. Why are we here

P.Mills introduced the purpose of the action group. The group is to oppose the decision to change the name of Hull City Association Football Club. There is no opposition to the Allams’ ownership of the football club.

A.Medcalf asked if the group is only to achieve this single objective. P.Johnson and P.Mills both felt it could take on other issues after this one. It was felt that would be a way in the future though.

K.Ellis felt this group could eventually become a true independent Hull City supporters group.

2. Aims and Objectives

P.Mills proposed a follow-up meeting after the West Ham game on Saturday. A.Medcalf has organised the venue.

A.Medcalf felt the group should have a wide ranging representation to arrest any suspicion from fans who think it’s a small secret band. C.Cooper said there are representatives of the ‘ulltras who could make a Saturday meeting.

C.Cooper felt a public meeting should be a short-term goal to include the whole supporter base and to give those in favour of the rebrand the right to express their opinion. It was agreed that this is a sensible goal.

K.Ellis suggested inviting a City Independent contributor on Saturday to create a link to Tenfoot City magazine. I.Waterson is to follow it up.

A.Medcalf asked if the Hull City Southern Supporters (HCSS) and the Official Supporters Club (HCOSC) are to be invited. It was debated at length whether they could officially join the campaign. K.Ogram suggested that there are individual members who would want to support the campaign. L.Motherby and P.Mills suggested that inviting individual members of HCSS and HCOSC could generate support from those groups.

P.Johnson suggested that even if these groups cannot formally join any campaign they could acknowledge and show awareness of it on behalf of the membership who oppose the rebrand.

L.Motherby suggested the HCSS and HCOSC be invited to meet and discuss the rebranding. K.Ellis suggested an open invite would show our fellow supporters that we are open and inclusive and only want the best for the club. C.Cooper suggested writing a letter to each group. This was agreed as an action. F.Beill suggested a carbon copy be issued to the local media. I.Waterson will write the letter. P.Johnson will send it using his prior contacts.

P.Johnson asked for suggestions on how fans that live well outside of Hull can play a part in any campaign. This is to be discussed at the next meeting.

3. Establish a decision making process

P.Mills feels it important we remain “courteous and stick to the point” in all communication with the club. K.Ogram felt the previous jointly issued press release featured a little too much conjecture as to Dr. Allam’s reasons for the rebrand.

C.Cooper felt the group should establish “What do we want from this?” K.Ellis stressed that the initial focus for the group should be to stress that “Hull City” isn’t a brand, a football club or a business but a real community and to convince apathetic fans that it matters. K.Ellis added that Dr. Allam’s reason for buying Hull City was to give back to the community.

I.Waterson felt that if compromise was necessary then it should be pointed out that we as a group have no issue with the club marketing the business side as whatever they want to. C.Cooper added that “The Tigers” is a strong brand in itself, is one of the oldest and best established nicknames  in football and could be used to sell the club in other markets. L.Motherby supported marketing the club in foreign markets. C.Cooper felt the club has clouded the issue by releasing mixed messages regarding its intention to change the name and the name it intended to use.

K.Ellis was disappointed by Dr. Allam’s assertion that Hull City is a “lousy” identity. R.Skelton pointed out that Dr. Allam said people can call the club whatever they want which will appease some fans. C.Cooper expressed the need to stress the community value of “Hull City”. A.Medcalf added that we must convince people to care.

K.Ogram was keen that the group didn’t focus only on long-term support. K.Ellis emphasised that the name Hull City is the thread between supporters old and new.

A.Medcalf felt it important that we ask the club to provide evidence to support their argument that a rebrand opens up marketing opportunites.

Several members of the group expressed their disappointment with Hull City Managing director Nick Thompson after he gave assurances at the last FLAG meeting that the name change would only apply to the “business side” of the club.

It was agreed that the group should aim to meet the owners to work on a solution to the issue.

4. Plan of action

C.Cooper said we need to get other fans on our side. “We can’t start a war, we don’t have an army”.

K.Ellis suggested a gathering before the West Ham game with speakers establishing the point of the protest and a march to the ground. It was felt there is no appetite for such a protest at this point.

A.Dalton explained that Amber Nectar have ordered 2000 “Say No To Hull Tigers” badges thanks to donations from Amber Nectar forum members. It was felt that these should be given out for free to like-minded supporters.

I.Waterson added that City Independent forum members have raised £250. C.Cooper produced £250 from the City ‘ulltras group. A.Dalton to use this money to have up to 10,000 flyers printed. A.Dalton suggested we hand out leaflets on Saturday before the West Ham game and speak to fans personally to engage those who don’t use the internet regularly.

C.Cooper added that Football Focus are at the KC Stadium on Saturday and we may be able to arrange an interview.

It was agreed that a social media campaign will be started to encourage volunteers to meet at West Park gates on Saturday at 1:45pm. They will then be dispersed to the various access points to engage fellow fans. (Top of the footbridge, West Park walkways, Between Walton Street Car Park and North-West corner and under the flyover behind the South Stand.)

A.Dalton will arrange for some leaflets and badges to be passed to other attendees before Saturday so that they can be handed out in the pub beforehand.

A vote was taken and the group decided there should be nothing that could be construed as a protest march on Saturday.

A draft flyer produced by Amber Nectar was discussed, amended slightly and agreed on. It was agreed that the “community” message should be emphasised in the flyer.

I.Waterson passed on an idea that “City till I die” be sung 19:04 into the game on Saturday. It was felt that this is a good idea but it’s too short notice to publicise it.

C.Cooper suggested an idea to produce scarves. L.Motherby felt they should be Black and Amber. K.Ellis suggested an amber “CITY TILL I DIE” on a black scarf. The group agreed with this idea. Scarves will be sold for £5 with any profit used to further fund the campaign.

5. Agree roles and responsibilities

An interim spokesperson was requested. A.Dalton and K.Ogram were selected to deal with any media engagements. This will be further debated at the next meeting.

R.Skelton suggested a press release to publicise the canvassing of opinion on Saturday. L.Motherby and R.Skelton to write this release.

A “press club” was established to deal with future press releases without the need for everyone in the group to agree avoiding potential hold ups. L.Motherby, R.Skelton, P.Johnson, K.Ogram and I.Waterson are to take on this task.

A “social media” section was established to handle the website, Facebook page, Twitter account and mailing list. A.Beill, M.Scott, A.Medcalf and J.Greenwood are to take on this task.

A.Medcalf is to set up an email address that will forward to all group members.

L.Motherby and A.Medcalf to look into a “City till we die” web domain.

6. Football Focus at the KC

This was previously addressed.

7. Finances

A.Dalton will be the group’s treasurer.

K.Ellis felt that minutes of group meetings and finances should be made public as we have nothing to hide. This was agreed.

C.Cooper feels that care should be taken to ensure any money spent is spent locally, especially in Hull if possible, even if it means paying slightly more.

8. Action points

Three key objectives were established during the course of the meeting.

#1 – To stress the value of Hull City to the community.
#2 – To engage the wider football audience, the Football Association and the Premier League and to stress that fan consultation has not been undertaken.
#3 – To disprove the argument that rebranding has financial benefits for the club.

8a. Recap

K.Ellis suggested inviting a City Independent contributor on Saturday to create a link to Tenfoot City magazine. I.Waterson is to follow it up.

L.Motherby suggested the HCSS and HCOSC be invited to meet and discuss the rebranding. I.Waterson will write the letter. P.Johnson will send it using his prior contacts.

It was agreed that a social media campaign will be started to encourage volunteers to meet at West Park gates on Saturday at 1:45pm. They will then be dispersed to the various access points to engage fellow fans.

A.Dalton will arrange for some leaflets and badges to be passed to other attendees before Saturday so that they can be handed out in the pub beforehand.

R.Skelton suggested a press release to publicise the canvassing of opinion on Saturday. L.Motherby and R.Skelton to write this release.

A.Medcalf is to set up an email address that will forward to all group members.

L.Motherby and A.Medcalf to look into a “City till we die” web domain.

9. Date of next meeting

Saturday 28th September 2013. The Deep, Hull. 5-30pm.

A0. AOB

 None.

22 replies
  1. hovetiger
    hovetiger says:

    Still not clear exactly what is supposed to be happening on Saturday tbh. Also, need to ensure that participation and input is kept as wide as possible. It has been really heartening to see fans coming together online to share ideas (and money) over the past couple of weeks or so, and a way needs to be found to ensure you don’t lose that momentum by being seen to manage the campaign from behind closed doors so to speak. I know that isn’t the intention, but it is the danger. As the above comment indicates, there are plenty of cynics about.

  2. JW
    JW says:

    Good on you, we are Hull City AFC, and always will be.

    ‘If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it.’

    #notohulltigers

  3. Sir Dontseecityalot
    Sir Dontseecityalot says:

    Agree with Hovetiger. A huge amount of credit should go to those who’ve had the energy and organisation to get us this far. However, there is the worry that this could come across as a small clandestine group with a holier-than-thou attitude (which I imagine is the last thing that those at the meeting want or imagine the group being).

    As a result, I think an open meeting happening as soon as possible would be hugely beneficial. Whilst it might make it more difficult to get things done with a large attendance, it would help avoid the perception that this a group run by a small cabal (whilst I completely understand the reasoning, the paragraphs relating to the OSC and SSC rather reinforce this idea. Surely *any* fans should be allowed to join if they’re interested?)

  4. clint naysmith
    clint naysmith says:

    re: 2 “being seen to manage the campaign from behind closed doors”, says Hovetiger, in response to reading a full, frank, fully disclosed set of minutes. Twonk.

  5. Andy
    Andy says:

    5. Sir Dontseecityalot, a large public meeting would be great, but first things first, we need to get the message out to City fans, not all of whom visit message boards or read Twitter every day, etc.

  6. Lee
    Lee says:

    Fantastic gents.. keep organised, keep fighting. I think something visible at games, with a clear message of opposition would be a fantastic idea.

  7. johnny yen
    johnny yen says:

    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5…. I make it 13 people altogether. I think Ok must have lost some fingers in some kind of industrial accident. Either that or he was being fatuous.

    Good post, hovetiger. So good, in fact, that I’ve just emailed it off to those 13 people named.

    This would probably be a good place to emphasise that ANYONE who wants to contribute ideas or comment can do so by emailing the campaign at notohulltigers@citytillwedie.com.

  8. Baby Chaos
    Baby Chaos says:

    People who go along with Hull Tigers are scum, but people who do nothing should be kicked to death on the spot.

  9. Young Bob
    Young Bob says:

    “#3 – To disprove the argument that rebranding has financial benefits for the club” – not sure it’s possible to either prove or disprove. We can be become blinkered and believe our own opinons but independent financial/marketing analysis may conclude there is signficant financial benefit. Is it even relevant? Shouldn’t the argument be that our history, community and heritage shouldn’t be sacrificed for financial greed.

  10. richard pearson
    richard pearson says:

    Best of luck and thank you for the time you are putting in on this. What pisses me off are the “clever” one-line detractors on this site who have no practical suggestions other than trying to make ‘clever’ comments. By all mean discuss the pros and cons of this matter but stupid and ignorant ‘funnies’ are not helpful. Where’s that fans’ petition for the F.A.?

  11. Nigel Edwards
    Nigel Edwards says:

    As already mentioned it’s hard to prove rebranding will make money. Easier to prove that rebranding will COST in terms of decreased spending by current fans.
    It should also be pointed out that clubs called Tigers (ie Leicester, etc.) is very common all around the world, and to quote Wikipedia “may refer to one of several sports teams”.

  12. hovetiger
    hovetiger says:

    One idea might have been to have advertised a meeting at a particular pub after the game on Saturday, where all those interested could come and hear more about the campaign, discuss ideas, next steps etc. Instead there is a meeting way away at the Deep at 5.30 for those already involved?
    In that case, might it be an idea to set up a regular venue/pub for all home games, pre or post match to come along, get supplies of flyers/badges/buy t-shirts, drop in postcards, chat to the ‘steering’ group members etc …this could be advertised on the various websites, facebook and also at home games and could be something that people can do to try and make a difference, feel included and involved, rather than just pick up a badge or whatever and let 13 people get on with all the work.

  13. Andy
    Andy says:

    Hove – all very fair comments and well worth considering. I would quite like the idea of one formal/informal pub as a base for operations.

    If you fancy it, I (and perhaps a few others) will be in the Avenues pub on Chants Ave from 11am tomorrow, armed with leaflets, stickers, badges and most of all, righteous anger – come and say hi…

  14. Who_are_we_Tiger
    Who_are_we_Tiger says:

    I’m 100% with the campaign and will be at West Park gates on Saturday. One suggestion if I may and that is the activity on Saturday needs a measurement – what things are we trying to achieve and how did we do. I think that added to all the effort you have all put in to this campaign so far will help with the direction. At some stage we need to know that our support is growing and by how much, we need to back that up with some sort of evidence and then have a strategy to increase etc. That will help when we get to the stage of approaching the EPL and MR Assem.

    Great stuff and looking forward to saying hello on Saturday.

  15. Who_are_we_Tiger
    Who_are_we_Tiger says:

    Not sure what has happened to my post at 6pm. Oh well I’ll try again!

    I’m 100% in support of the campaign and will be at West Park gates on Saturday. I’m not sure if the postcards and petition are out on Saturday or whether they’ve been held back at this stage. The badges and leaflets are great. One point if I may and that is to suggest we will need some measurements in place so we can (a) produce evidence to our supporters and community, the local media, EPL and MR Assem of the level of support we have and (b) see if our support is increasing and what aspects of our campaign really affect and increase the numbers.

    Great stuff and well done to all who have helped get it to this stage.

Comments are closed.